The Friends' School

Government Allowances

The Australian and Tasmanian Governments offer a number of allowances at varying levels for students in both Government and non-government Schools.

Assistance for Isolated Children (AIC)
This Centrelink payment provides non-means tested, non-taxable assistance for students who live in rural and remote areas and need to travel some distance from their home to school. Students in Years 11 and 12 generally attract more funding. For further information phone 13 2318 or visit:

Department of Education Student Accommodation Allowance (SAA) 2015
The Student Accommodation Allowance provides non-means tested, non-taxable financial assistance to students in Year 11 or 12 who must live away from their usual Tasmanian home in order to study at a Secondary School.
For more information: Call 1800 816 057
Applications forms are available from the Enrolments Office.

Department of Education Student Assistance Scheme (STAS) 2015
The Student Assistance Scheme provides assistance for low income families towards the cost of levies.
For more information: or call 1800 816 057 or email
Application forms are available from the Enrolments Office.

Youth Allowance, Austudy, Pensioner Education Supplement
For more information please contact Centrelink:

Students of Torres Strait Islander or Aboriginal descent may also qualify for assistance through Abstudy funding. Please contact Centrelink for information on the assistance available from the Commonwealth Government.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Print Friendly, PDF & Email