Alumni Story – Ketrina CLARKE (1978)

Posted on October 12, 2022

Ketrina Clarke graduated from The Friends’ School in 1978 pursuing a career in law and business management. Ketrina kindly shared a little of her life since Friends’ with us here including being awarded an OAM in 2019 for service to swimming. Thank you for sharing Ketrina.

What happened when you left School, what path did you take?
I completed Year 12 in 1978 and studied Law at University of Tasmania, graduating with a Bachelor of Laws in 1983. During my time at Utas I continued my involvement in sport and in particular competitive swimming and was awarded a University Blue for Swimming. I met my husband, Andrew when we were both representing Utas in intervarsity athletics. We married in 1985.

As a young lawyer, I worked at Hobart and Launceston law firms and in the UK before settling back in Tasmania in 1988 working in private practice in Launceston and as a medical practice business manager.

In 1997 I graduated with a Master of Business Administration, University of Tasmania, and was awarded the McCarthy Medal for Outstanding Academic Performance in the MBA Program. I was the first female to win this award.

My legal career has been in a few areas including private practice and as a member of the Federal Government Social Security Appeals Tribunal and the Tasmanian Code of Conduct Panel. Across the years, I have also spent terms as a Board member of Metro Tasmania and Housing Tasmania and a member of the University of Tasmania Human Ethics Committee.

My life-long involvement in swimming and contribution as a voluntary Club coach, State coach and State selector was recognised with an Order of Australia Medal in the 2019 Australia Day Honours for service to swimming.

My current work is managing the business of my husband’s medical practice and involvement in swimming. I have been a coach with South Esk Swimming Club in Launceston for the past 22 years.

Where are you now?
I live in the beautiful West Tamar area north of Launceston with my husband of 36 years, Andrew who is a rural GP. We have a daughter who is a nurse and two sons who are doctors.

Do you have a fond memory of your time at Friends?
I enjoyed my time at Friends and reflecting on a fond memory, the first thing that came to mind was enjoying sitting outside Clemes having lunch and chatting with friends. I cannot believe that was 44 years ago!

Do you have any advice for our current students? 
I encourage young people to not choose the easy option just because they fear failing the more challenging. “If you expect life to be easy, challenges will seem difficult. If you accept that challenges may occur, life will be easier.” Rob Liano.