All Clemes students at The Friends’ School are encouraged to complete the Clemes Certificate. The aims of the Clemes Certificate are:
- to recognise that education neither begins nor ends in the classroom
- to complement and balance academic development, and foster student wellbeing
- to provide the opportunity for students to establish links with the local community and wider international community
- to challenge and extend the individual student by developing a spirit of discovery and self-reliance through experiential learning and reflection
- to encourage a sense of belonging and active commitment to the community
- to inspire a sense of empathy and responsibility towards all members of the community and the environment
- to encourage critical, compassionate thinkers
- to encourage the development of attitudes and values that transcend the barriers of race, class, religion, gender and politics
- to give practical meaning to the Purpose and Concerns of The Friends’ School.
To gain the Certificate a student must complete 150 hours of Creativity, Action and Service over a period of up to two years.
Examples of possible activities are provided here.